I have no interest in quizzing my little one regarding names of paintings, authors and so on…I do hope to introduce her to the love of Art in general, and painting in particular.
Here comes James Mayhew’s gloriously illustrated books for children introducing little ones, and their parents, to new worlds and adventures:
- Katie and the British artists introduces five famous paintings by world-renowned British artists;
- Katie and the Spanish princess is an introduction to Spanish painters, including Las Meninas by Velazquez;
- Katie and the sunflowers introduces Katie, and her traveling companions, to five paintings by Van Gogh, Gauguin, and Cezanne; includes information about Post-impressionism;
- Katie meets the Impressionists talks about five Impressionist paintings;
- In Katie’s Sunday afternoon, Katie and her grandmother visit the art museum, where Katie climbs into the paintings of pointillist artists Seurat, Pissarro, and Signac;
- In Katie and the Mona Lisa, Katie meets Mona Lisa and characters from four other well-known Renaissance paintings.
There are more wonderful stories from this prolific children’s author. Most of the books are written for 4 to 8 year-olds. And the illustrations are magical. Our home library carries the last five titles. You can find a much better selection online. Like this one: